Saturday, April 01, 2006

I'm A Mom!

Alright so last week, we purchased two new puppies! They were born on Valentines day, and we bought them from another missionary lady in town who's dog was the real mother. But, I am their mother now. Except I leave the disgusting half of that to my mother. They're Boerboel and Rhodesian Ridgeback crossed. If you haven't seen those, google them, and you'll find that they will grow to be man eating machines.


Alright, so they don't look like man eating machines right now I guess...


What are their names you ask? The one on top there is Frodo, and the bottom bigger one is Sam. Heck yeah. I wanted to get like 9 so we could have the whole fellowship...but nooo we could only go for main characters. Whatever.
So what has life done lately you ask? Well, Friday was supposed to go like this: have pancakes for breakfast, go to a cafe for lunch to hear Amy play her guitar, then go to the theatre that night to see the Pink Panther. What happened friday? My dad stood in line ups trying to get paperwork for our truck from 8 - 17:30, I only did one math lesson because checking my answers I saw I was all wrong and gave up. Since dad had the car we couldn't go hear Amy. I watched E! chanel for an hour, then Aunty Cheryl phoned and said we were going to visit gogo. So we went there, and when we got home dad got back like half an hour later. We decided to still go and see Pink Panther, but turns out that was about the most depressing thing ever. I mean the movie's really funny and everything. But walking around the theater there were soo many teenagers, all with their friends. Then there was me, walking in, with my parents. Why? Not because I have friends and chose to go with my parents, not because I was forced, but because I don't have a social life outside of my parents. So I went home and cried, because I'm truly a loner.
Saturday we finalllly got our truck. This would be after 6 months of waiting, and we were technically supposed to get it Feb.1, welcome to Africa kids. It's so much nicer than the vehicle we've been renting though. The car we were renting had no air conditioning, which meant at stops and everything you couldn't roll up your windows without dying of the heat. It's super dangerous though because people (men) will run up to the car. So everytime we were at a stop light Id have to roll up my window and sweat off like 20 pounds while men stood outside the window saying random Nyanja things. Now though, this is a beats of a truck which we can take on any road, AND it has AC!


I learn how to drive in that baby! Anyway, the rest of Saturday was boring...like every other day. I bought a tank top...it's weird...but cool, I'm not sure how to explain it. Saturday night I was sitting in the living room contemplating why I dont have friends and how I'm going to kidnap some, when my cell phone rang! This is exciting okay because people never phone me. Lots of sms' but no calls. So I look at the screen and it was Lauren (from Kitwe)! Yay! So we talked for like...10/15 minutes when my brothers were on Skype and wanted to talk to me. Since it's Kelly's birthday on Wednesday, but he'll be in Vancouver for business stuff then, we called him yesterday to do all the birthday junk. Both him and Sean were on the phone so it was kinda cool just the three of us talking, until I burst into tears and said "I just wanna go home" then that resulted in like ten minutes of them trying to make me happy. Eventually I pulled back into semi-normal mood though. I talked to them for about 35 minutes, then paged Lauren. Since we don't have a land line yet, and she does, it was cheaper for her to just phone me form her land line. Cells here don't pay for recieved calls. Anyway then we talked for like another half hour, so that was cool. I watched the last bit of Seinfeld after that, then some SNL but decided upon reading. And that was friday and saturday.
Oh yes, Friday afternoon I decided I need to be skinny. And then I ate a pack of Astros. Yup, skinny plans goin real well.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Lauren!
Those lil critters should keep you from being bored!
Nice wheels! Now that is what I call "roughin it" in Africa!
Keep the pictures comin.

2/4/06 10:47  
Blogger AfterVerner said...

It takes a super teenager to go to movies with their parents. That makes you pretty super. And then you got some man eating (or soon to be) dogs that are named after famous hobbits. And a fabulous blue truck that looks like it could eat a man too. You get to learn in that? That's super. Super duper. How about I trade you for a day? You can be here on the island and I'll be there. That'd be fun.

2/4/06 21:50  
Blogger ...Jillie... said...

heey LAF. Question.. all the teenagers there.. what language do they speak.. cause i was wondering if that was stopping you from meetin gthem all.. yeaaaaaah i realize its probably intimidating and what not.. just curious.. i'm sure your social life will start shaping up miraculously.. as for all its APril.. and well.. good things happen in april AKA. my birthday.. on the 11th! woot woot. Anyways.. i am going to miss the bus.. miss you loadssss xo

3/4/06 08:21  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhhh Laurence, you NEEDn't be skinny, you are beautiful as you are! Serious. Sorry to hear you're all lonely over there, but I predict a girl such as yourself will attract wonderful new friends by the truckloads. In the meantime, you have the two cutest puppies in the whole frickin' world and... two parents who love you? Yes. Anyhoohaa, I (and all the rest of the Westbankians, I'm sure), miss you like a fat kid on a diet misses cake and various other junkfoods. Loooooove

4/4/06 23:22  
Blogger alanna said...

hello mother.

6/4/06 07:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool dog names, and nice truck. Glad some of the stuff is coming together. Ethan prays for you every night, but can never remember where you are: so you're Lauren in Alberta, Lauren in America...and there was one more place, but I can't even remember where.

6/4/06 21:30  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS trust you can figure out that this most recent anoymous is also attached to Emerson & Jaedyn. Love ya!

6/4/06 21:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home