Thursday, March 02, 2006

I am woman. Hear me Rant.

Okay so you must forgive me but I am about to rant. I have warned you. So I wrote this short story for english class right. It was supposed to have a deep meaning. I check my mark/comments on it a couple days ago and I got 90%. I was curious as to why I didn't get full marks. There was a comment on how I didn't incorporate salvation into the story. I am sorry, but this was never on the criteria! or even mentioned! These danged christian schools. My gosh. And now, readers, you are going to read my story so you can rant with me about hwo it could be taken as a christian analogy, or just a good story for a fifteen year old. Oy. Here....

Cold Sand

The shouting had gotten louder, the alcohol taking its toll on numb minds. Glass was breaking, the sound of bruises in their most sincere form, screaming through to Tatome’s sanity. In a childlike reflex she threw herself onto the bed, awaiting sirens or the door slam, whichever came first. Most days though, the sirens never even reached the Bennet home. Yelling had caused too much damage for the telephone to be picked up. The rain trickled down in a sympathetic way, splattering on the glass, distorting the dark scene outside. It mimicked their life. Slowly and majestically the thunder made its booming voice roll through the valley. Lightning strikes hinted at the mysterious power the storm held. It took hold of the ground, causing damage, proving who was boss.
Slam, the door had made its statement of safety. He was gone. Tatome took a deep breath and stroked her silky brown hair back. While the tears threatened their way out, she searched for where she’d thrown her glasses in her earlier fit of rage. In a moment of panic, she realized she hadn’t heard her mother for a few minutes. She was her mother’s strength though. Running mascara wouldn’t prove that. On her way out the door, Tatome grabbed a Kleenex, and made a quick fix of her face. Calmly and peacefully she strolled down the stairs towards the torture area. Carly, her mother, lye broken, bruised and unsurprised on the floor.
“I should’ve remembered, he doesn’t like tacos on Wednesdays.” Came the pathetic words, spilling out of her mouth, imitating the blood making a bold statement on her leg.
“Mama, stop, it’s not your fault you have to stop this. He just had a rough day, he’ll be okay. Dad will be back later tonight. I’m sure he’ll have something to eat at the bar.” Tatome’s words were a cold comfort to the idea that this man would be back day after day, repeating his same painful sin like he had the past 5 years. They both knew he held a silent agreement with them. They spoke of the beatings, more came. If they didn’t speak, they brought it upon themselves.
Mother and daughter sat in silence. The air felt stale, a familiar scene. Carly was in the fetal position on the floor, blood staining her skin and leaking onto the carpet. Kneeling next to her beloved mom she swept her hair back, trying to find another world. One poor lamp let a dull light make the shadows. Rain drops grew bigger, making their presence outside known. Kevin came to both their minds at that moment.
“I’m so happy sweetie” her mom croaked out “that you have a nice boy to take care of you, like Kev. Such a nice kid. He’s good to you right?”
“Yeah of course mama, he’s great. Just great. I think we’re going for dinner tomorrow night.” Tatome knew she was lying to herself, but also knew it was necessary, for both of them.
“Why don’t you give him a call? Maybe you two can go watch a movie at his place, hm?” There was a needy tone to Carly’s voice as she let the words into the air. She made a painful attempt to pull herself up, and onto the seemingly perfect couch.
“I don’t really want to right now. I think I’m coming down with something, and, you know, don’t wanna be up too late. ‘Sides I can’t just leave you here when Gilmore Girls is on tonight!” Tatome made a desperate attempt to keep herself in the house.
“I said, I want you to phone Kevin, and I want you two to go and hang out at his house for a while, okay?” Carly got pushier in her tone, and was not about to explode in rage when she just didn’t have the energy.
Knowing it was best to simply say yes Tatome nodded her head, and followed her previous path up the stairs to her bedroom. The blue walls mocked her depressed mindset, as she picked her cell phone up off her desk. Shakily, she scrolled through the names until she found Kevin’s and hit dial. It rang a few times before being answered. Then, his voice.
“Hey baby, I thought I said I couldn’t see you tonight?” Kevin’s voice sounded suspicious through the phone.
“Yeah well you know, stuff happens right.” Tatome felt an urgency to get the message through to him, without having to explain another mother and father scenario.
“Again? Bastard. I just have to take care of some…things…then I’ll be over in maybe twenty to get ya aight babe?” Annoyed, he agreed in saving her.
“Ye, that’s cool, I’ll go get ready honey. I’m sorry.”
“Whatever see you soon. Oh and hey, wear that new skirt.” A click echoed in Tatome’s mind like a death sentence, as she saw herself in her mother’s position. Gathering herself again, she spotted her black rimmed Gucci glasses upside down on the other side of the room. Her feet padded over, and gracefully placed them back onto her face. It hit her then that she hadn’t reapplied any make-up to her face. She plopped onto the floor in front of her full length yellow mirror. Staring back at her was a scared, broken girl. Names and questions filled her head about that stranger looking back at her. Eyes were no longer a sparkling blue, but an icy cold color. Pale skin and delicate lips graced her oval shaped face. Her hair fell lifeless around that precious, lost face, flowing down to her collar bones. In an intense loneliness and brokenness, which kept her feeling, she applied her black eyeliner.
A car honk shook Tatome of her numb state, and her body unfolded itself, dragging over to the door. Looking out that hallway window, she saw fate sitting in the driver’s seat, she was nothing but a passenger. A bathtub down the hallway swallowed water pouring down from the metal taps, becoming the soundtrack for the white walls. No use bothering Carly when she was, perhaps, relaxed for once. A tug on Tatome’s mini skirt, and a second honk forced her down the spiral staircase. While approaching the shimmering door handle, she thought about how she could escape, but knew from countless times before, there was no escape. No freedom. Regretfully, one foot dressed in black high heels moved onto the porch, and let the night begin.
CNN let its mindless chat fill the room as Tatome sat alone and bored, on the burgundy couch neatly placed in Kevin’s parent’s downstairs living room. She heard the shower click off and awaited company, happy in some senses to be taken away from the talking box. Kevin strolled into the living room, in his jeans and muscle shirt.
“Sorry I never had a shower after work. So what do you want to do?” He said throwing himself onto the couch next to his girlfriend, with an arm gracing her shoulders.
“I’m not sure, I’m kind of tired, do you just wanna watch a movie, or maybe go grab a coffee?” Tatome felt like such an intruder, she had basically invited herself over. Not a smart thing to do.
“Don’t make me choose, you’re the one who brought yourself over here.” Kevin replied, pulling out a cigarette.
“I told you I was sorry. Carly made me leave. You can choose, don’t let me ruin your evening, I’m just your girlfriend.” Tatome said with a sense of hate in her voice.
“Hey!” a shout came sprinting out of his mouth “Don’t give me that crap woman. I do all I can for you. This is the attitude you give me? Unbelievable.”
“Look, just take me home then okay? Or Drop me off somewhere, I can find my own way home.” It was a desperate search to get out of his grip now.
“No way, you’re mine now. Come on.” Smoke floated out of Kevin’s mouth with a putrid smell, the cigarette hanging out the side of his lips. His green eyes filled with evil intentions, his hand slipped itself onto Tatome’s leg. Slyly he slid his hand up towards the edge of her skirt.
“Kev quit it you jerk! Do you honestly think I’d wanna do that now after my night!? Hell, I guess I shouldn’t have expected any better from dirt like you.” The second part of her words failed to come out quite as loud, falling onto her shoulders, hiding in the couch cushions.
“What did you say to me?” A rage suddenly began forcing itself through Kevin’s chest. “You don’t talk to me like that! I take good care of you. Nobody else will anyway. You try that again, and you’re gone.” A good hard slap drove itself across Tatome’s face as a reminder of her apparently painful mistake.
“Sorry” she whispered as her eyes met the floor. Ezekiel, he wouldn’t ever do that. He would save her. In her mind his face sank, realizing she hadn’t called him lately. Had she forgotten his birthday? No, no it was tomorrow. She would call him tomorrow.
“I’m going to Jake’s. You know how to use a remote. Hah, I’m not even sure about that. I’ll be back.” The white basement door shut with a strange ease. Tatome looked up to the TV to face Britney Spears. She was what he wanted. So perfect, so beautiful. Nobody would dare touch a woman like that. Strong, gorgeous, respected. It wasn’t right. Exhaustion flooded over her and she sprawled out on the couch. News reporters in their fancy business suits and accomplished lives pranced around the screen. Slowly, gently, Tatome’s eyes closed.
Three hours later, and the stench of alcohol at full strength, Kevin came stumbling into his basement. Crashing to the ground, a bottle awoke his sleeping girlfriend.
“What are you still doing here? I want you out of my house. Hey you! Yeah, you.” His words arrived slurred and angry. Tatome was flustered and tired, trying to convince herself it was the alcohol yelling at her. In behind him came Jake.
“What’s up girl!? Yo, what happened to your face? You aight?” Jake seemed to show some concern, it was obvious though, he had some sort of drink running through his system. The two of them had no idea how stupid they were looking at that moment. Tripping, slurring, and laughing.
“You know what happened. Can you take me home?” Came an annoyed reply from Tatome’s sleep deprived face. Jake gave a quick knowing glance to Kevin. Abruptly he agreed to be the Taxi driver. She got herself off the couch, and headed towards the two drunken fools. In Kevin’s embrace his stinking breath let her know she could stay the night.
“I’m going home, ok? I’ll call you tomorrow. Just go to bed. You don’t need me here tonight. I don’t need you.” She said in a tiring tone, and her and Jake exited the basement. As they strolled towards the car in the moonlight, there was a throbbing pain growing on Tatome’s pink cheek bone. The numerous scenes of her mother on floor, flashed before her. It was her future. No denying, she was falling into the same traps. The one man in her life that she had always looked to had turned himself into a demon, and she was attracted to his kind wherever she went. He represented comfort and safety, somehow all at once that meant pain and suffering. Bending down and into the beaten down car, she knew she had lost control. The passenger seat seemed such a fitting place for her to ride home in that stormy night.
Silence and a bruise were what Tatome woke up to that Friday morning. The events of the previous night haunted her thoughts, which shared similarities to the past years, no such thing as change in the Bennet home. On the bed she lied, feeling weak and dizzy. Sunlight snuck in under the curtains, crawling across the floor and drawing lines across the bed sheets. Faintly, the aroma of coffee worked its way to her nose, letting her know her father was home. Coffee at nine, then off to the real estate office it would be. Nobody there would know. Nobody ever suspected. Carly would do well in covering up her cuts and scars with her panty hose, to go and do her shift working as a teller at the bank. Sweating, Tatome pulled the covers back and rose to her feet.
A ghostly figure stood in the mirror confronting her boyfriend’s hand work. On her cheekbone lay a pinkish bruise, boldly confronting the sad reality she lived in. Bed head was evident as she looked herself up and down. Sadly she let the words from Kevin dig deep inside. It was true. Who else would want that? A calendar which stood with a bright yellow mark on today drew her attention. Ezekiel’s birthday, July 3rd. Ignoring him the past few days, had developed a guilt. Tatome knew not calling him today would be a death threat to a friendship that had gone 16 years.
They’d met the second Ezekiel was born, their mothers being best friends. Over the years, their moms drifted from each other, finding different interests and struggles. Tatome and Ezekiel (Zeek they called him for short) were inseparable though. Being in the same neighborhood, they spent everyday they could together. There was no such thing as only having one of them knowing a secret; it was like they shared a life. Happily, Zeek protected her like Tatome was his own daughter, and they meant the world to each other. It was the kind of friendship than ran deeper than blood.
She picked up her orange phone lying carelessly on her desk, and dialed Zeek’s number, memorized from years of phone calls to each other. It rang a few times before a tired voice answered on the other end.
“…Hullo?” It was obvious she’d woken him up.
“Happy Birthday honey!!! You’re SIXTEEN!” Shouted Tatome, trying to sound as happy as possible, despite her current condition.
“Hey girl! Well nice to hear from you, where’ve you been hidin’ Em?” hearing her voice Ezekiel picked up a bit.
“Oh I’ve been around, you know. I was gunna give you a call last night but I was over at Kevin’s and got kinda caught up in some stuff there.” She didn’t want to get into details over the phone, especially on his birthday. It wasn’t right.
“Right. Well, you up for a day of hanging out today? I didn’t have any huge birthday plans so I just figured me and you could chill. You know, maybe go get some ice cream, hang out at the beach, catch a movie tonight? You down?” Zeek was quick to get off the subject of Kevin, the entire situation left him nothing but frustrated. The idea of them being together killed him, he knew Tatome could do so much better, that she deserved so much better.
“Yeah for sure, I just got up myself, so I’ll be ready in about an hour or so. Do you wanna come meet me at my house then we can catch a bus downtown?” Tatome said, a bit happier knowing she was going to spend the day with her best friend.
“Sounds good, I’ll meet you in an hour then. Peace darling” Ezekiel replied.
“Peace boy.” With that the phone was replaced on its hook. Tatome took a deep breath and began a search for a strong enough cover up to hide her scar. Luckily he hadn’t made enough of a mark to make socializing impossible. Digging through her yellow make up bag she found the magic tool to keep the slap a secret. Just then the phone rang. Looking quickly at her silver watch still strapped loosely to her wrist, it read ten fifteen. Reaching over from her comfortable place on the floor she answered the phone.
“Tatome’s, what’s up?” She gave her typical phone answer.
“Baby, I was getting worried. You said you would call me.” A sickening voice came through the phone, making the pain in her face that much more real.
“Figured you were too hung over to chat, after last night.” Tatome said, hoping to get her point through to him.
“Ye, about that. I shouldn’t have hit you, you just gotta talk to me with more respect next time.” A twinge of arrogance was evident in his statement.
“Are you trying to blame this on me? Are you saying it was my fault that your hand hit my face? I never even touched you. You were the one dissin me, if you can’t take it then don’t dish it.” Tatome was making an attempt to defend herself. Sending surges of fear through her, she listened to what he had to say.
“Hey woman I told you before. Respect me. I’m all you got. You’re lucky you know. Your parents love me. Your friends would never believe you, so just give it up okay?” Kevin said coldly.
“Why would my parents love you? They don’t even love each other!” Tatome felt herself heating up inside, anger spitting its way into her words. “You have no right to hit me. You have no right to make me my mother. I could tell somebody if I wanted. I could leave you if I wanted.” Unfortunately, rage had taken its toll on her side of the conversation, she knew as soon as the words came out. He would know about Carly. Kevin would know their family’s deadly secret. As soon as the words “I could leave you if I wanted” rang back in her head, she knew what was coming. Her face was hot, the tears fresh. They were threatening words that she let out that time. From experience, defending her side was dangerous, it was stupid because she was wrong. Always wrong. Always weaker.
“You act like I’d be losing. You so dumb you didn’t even know I had another girlfriend! I should’ve seen this coming, you think you’re so great. Time to hit the truth girl, you’re not. Nobody wants you. You think you could leave me? You’re trippin’. Yeah let’s hear you do it. Say the words baby. Say it.” Silence separated them, two different people in two different lives.
“You make me sick. I hate you. You’re everything I never wanted, and somehow I found comfort in familiarity. You’re not as great as you act.” Tatome could hear her voice beginning to crack, she was drained “You don’t have another girlfriend. You’re just a deadly attraction.”
“Shut up, you don’t know anything. I told you, ha-ha, you can’t break up with me. I’ll keep you around. Only cause I feel sorry for you. I’ll phone you later sexy.” As soon as the words reached her heart she felt degraded, worthless, nothing. Expecting failure was what she held close, she’d come to know that nobody would ever care about her. Falsely, Tatome thought she was an object to be thrown around, for everybody’s entertainment. Emotion just got in the way, so sometimes it was easier to become numb. This time though, feeling nothing was too hard. By the time she knew what to say, there was nobody to say anything to, because he had hung up.
She had no energy yet wanted to keep Zeek’s birthday plans, she already felt horrible enough not phoning for the past week. Picking up some clothes off the closet floor, she headed down the hallway towards the bathroom. Her red toe nails had a strong contrast against the crisp white carpet as she walked. Suddenly though she noticed a matching color ahead. Carly’s blood. No doubt it was from the night before. Tatome figured she would clean it up later, which she was accustomed to. Their perfect home’s carpet had to stay that way, they wouldn’t want to destroy their image. Sluggishly she pushed the bathroom door into its place and turned the shower on, letting the steam fill the room.
Christina Aguilera let her voice scream around Tatome’s room as she made decisions on what to wear. Walking around in her grey mini skirt she was trying to find a matching top. Strangely, she heard some noise, but let go, thinking it was the neighbors. Walking around her room, in her grey skirt and red bra, she suddenly heard the door open behind her. Spinning in fright she saw Ezekiel’s face.
“Zeek! It hasn’t been an hour, I don’t even have make-up on, and my hair’s still wet.” Shrieked Tatome.
“Ha-ha, well actually it has Em.” Zeek laughed out. “I didn’t mean to intrude, but hey I figured you’d be ready, you’re always so…ready ha-ha.”
“Weird…oh! It must’ve been the second call….um yeah anyway. Sorry I was looking for my red tank top, you see it anywhere?” questioned Tatome.
“I think I’m sitting on it” he exclaimed, as he pulled it out from the bed sheets “Here ya are, now put some clothes on girl!”
“Your own fault for walking in on me loser.” Tatome said as she pulled the red top on. She didn’t get too worried about seeing Ezekiel looking like that. It wasn’t weird, which was what she loved about being with him. They had never liked each other, and it kept things nice and simple, which was what she clung to in the midst of everything else’s’ complications. She thought at least. “I’ve just got to do my hair, it’ll take like two seconds, aight gangsta?” She joked with him.
“Hold up. Don’t think you’re getting away all that easy. What happened to your face?” Ezekiel asked feeling pretty concerned while she just faked happiness. “It…it wasn’t your dad…was it?”
“No” Tatome said, suddenly worried what Zeek would do when he found out the truth. Displaying she didn’t want to talk, she kept busy.
“You know we’re not leaving this house until we talk about it. It was Kevin wasn’t it? What’d he do? What’d he say? Sit down, come on, fess up.” Suddenly he was intensely interested in what had gone on the night before.
“You really wanna know?” Tatome looked at Zeek, who was nodding his head, in his typical ‘I need to protect you’ way. “I was at Kevin’s, he got angry, and he hit me. Then after I talked to you this morning, he called. He said I was worthless, and he had another girlfriend. His usual bit.” Hearing herself say what had really been done, she felt one lonely tear slide down her flushed cheeks. By this time Ezekiel’s arm was around her. He knew not to say anything, but just to be silent, it was all she wanted. Somebody to know about it, somebody to talk at, not with. She let a few more sad tears work their way down her face as she faced reality. Together, they leaned back onto the bed, and she buried her face into his chest, covered by his favorite black tee shirt. Gently Ezekiel placed his hand on her back.
“You can’t let him own you like that honey. You’re stronger than that. You’re better. Tatome I’ve known you for years, and I can’t stand watching you go down like this. I care about you. Don’t do this” Zeek was dying watching the girl he loved go through so much pain, without any gain. His sandy blonde surfer hair fell around his face, his freckles making a stand around his nose. His skin had a darker tint to it lying next to Tatome’s arm. “Come on, strawberry ice cream? It’s my treat k hon? “
“It’s your birthday Zeek, I should be paying. I’m sorry to be so miserable. Let me just fix myself up and we’ll go catch the bus.” Tatome wanted the day to be fun, to be a way to forget everything that was going on, and to just be with Ezekiel.
“Fine, but I’m payin’ for the bus fare then. No arguing.” He stated, watching Tatome walk over to her dresser. She picked up a black elastic, put it around her wrist, and flipped her brown hair back. Grabbing a comb she ran it through her moist hair, then wrapped her hair around the elastic into a messy bun. Picking up her yellow makeup bag she ran over to her mirror and sat down. First the cover up was applied, with some pain, because of her pink reminder. Second, face powder. A quick mascara job, and some pink lip gloss, and she was ready to go.
“Do I look okay?” She turned to Zeek for confirmation of her beauty.
“You always look better than okay honey, let’s go.” Ezekiel said, with his classic charm shining through.
“Oh wait, you wanna hit the beach later on?” Tatome brought up.
“Sounds pro, I’ve got my swimming shorts on anyway, the maid forgot to do my laundry yesterday.” Ezekiel said as he made a gesture towards his black and blue trunks.
Tatome ran to her dresser and opened up the first drawer. On top lied her yellow and orange bikini. Quickly, she threw it into her beige messenger bag that was resting on her shoulder. Her cell phone was turned on, and tossed in as well. The pair ran down the stairs, and out the front door, towards the bus stop.
“One strawberry cone, and one dipped cone with chocolate and vanilla swirl, extra sprinkles.” Tatome ordered at the counter of the ice cream shop. Turning around she watched Zeek at the table, building some sort of abstract creation out of napkins and stir sticks. The lady working brought over the ice cream and Tatome carried it over to the table. Discussing what movies they should rent, which beach to go to, and what he thought he was getting from his relatives filled the conversation. Sunshine outside overpowered everything, the thirty degree heat soaking into their skin. While they ate, they watched walking, skateboarding, and rollerblading teenagers speed down the sidewalks, they were declaring the town theirs since summer break had started. Swallowing the last cold chunks of ice cream, they left the shop to roam downtown. Outside smelled of sun tan lotion. True summer.
Around 3 that afternoon, after a day of shopping and fun, they tossed themselves onto the sand. Heat glared down on them like an angry adult, the full force of its wrath being felt. The park behind them was scattered with people out enjoying the summer’s incredible warmth. Stretching out on her large, brown, white, and pink beach towel Tatome let out a loud sigh. Zeek, lying next to her on his old blue beach towel threw some sand into her hair. Slowly, she rolled to face him, but was too relaxed to retaliate.
“Let’s go swimming.” Zeek suggested, excitedly.
“You know, I would say no. I want to say no. Yet, being the girl I am, and since it’s your birthday I will say yes. Swimming it is.” Tatome said, and she watched Ezekiel get up before lifting her hands up for help. Unwillingly he reached down to her hands, squishing the sand and sweat between them, and pulled her up. Joking, they walked across the sand, which, after the heat of the day was beginning to burn their feet. It shared similarities with fire. Their pace quickened to a run in no time, because the water was suddenly a refuge.
In the water they wrestled each other down, and splashed until they were equally soaked. Ezekiel’s hair shimmered in the sun, and Tatome’s grew darker in the water. As she swam further and further out, Zeek watched his Em in amazement. Moving in water she swam so gracefully. Gently, her body floated along as her hair was swept back, playing with the waves. Skin growing darker and darker, she became more beautiful to him with every second he was with her. While he came out of his zone, he followed behind her. His skin brushed hers and he felt a rush go through him. It was fatal. He’d begun to like his best friend.
“The water’s warm, it’s weird hey?” Commented Tatome.
“Yeah, it is. I guess it’s this crazy weather we’ve been having. I don’t mind all that much though. Cold water’s not all that fun to be in” Zeek was saying anything that came to mind, he’d momentarily lost the ability to think. Her eyes, matching the waves, kept him preoccupied. A little boy in bright orange swimming trunks went splashing past between them, throwing a nervous laugh out from each.
“So, I’m definitely up for The Breakfast Club tonight, but I just remember there’s a concert tonight. I think Fatal Love, Midnight Screams, Lonely Swings, and some others are playing.” Zeek brought up, remembering he had told a friend he might show.
“Yeah, I haven’t been to a show in a while that might be fun. Sure. The usual five at the door right?” Tatome agreed.
“Just like every show every weekend here ha-ha. You can borrow one of my tee shirts, I’m doubting you wanna go to a punk show in a bright red tank top?” Assumed Zeek.
“You know me all too well!” With that Tatome dunked back under the water, her thick hair floating down around her. Her red toes hit the bottom, and sank like rocks into the sand. She made at attempt to cross her legs and sit on the sandy floor, without success. Looking up, Zeek’s laughing face tempted her to burst too. In one straight jump she came shooting out of the water with a giggle and hair stuck all over her face like honey.
Riding the bus home suddenly felt awkward between them. Calmly, Ezekiel tried to convince himself he didn’t like Tatome, that it wasn’t possible. No use though. There was no denying it. On the green seat next to each other they sat fairly silently, glancing out over the lake through the dirty window once in a while. Her silence was from a long day, his, his was from a confused heart. Her face glowed in the sunset, which emphasized every detail of Tatome’s character. Pink was hidden under freshly sun kissed cheeks, her skin glowing with the radiance of a full moon.
That night macaroni and cheese was the chosen birthday dinner, being Ezekiel’s favorite. Together they hopped their second bus that day downtown. The ride took them down the main road, into the heart of the city, with the sky scrapers and poverty. Inside the venue, it was stuffy, smelly, and rocking. As usual, they were local bands, but it provided them with entertainment, good or bad. Zeek was standing near the thumping speakers, waiting for Tatome to come back from the washroom. Packed shoulder to shoulder was every hard music lover in the city, mainly teenagers. Looking over the top, every hair style was edgy and dark. Clothing choices were band tee shirts, or vintage, of course they all had to be ‘original.’ Suddenly, he spotted Kevin with another girl in the sea of clones. If Tatome saw it would be the end of her. Searching desperately for her face in the crowd of teens, Zeek found no success. Then, he felt somebody grab his shoulders. Too late.
“Looking for me!?” Tatome giggled.
“Hey, um, I was thinking you wanna get out of here?” By the time the words left his mouth though, it was too late, she had spotted Kevin. Her face said it all. “I’m sure she’s just a friend, you know?” Ezekiel tried to convince them both.
“No, Zeek, it’s the other girl.” No sooner had the words left her mouth, when Kevin grabbed the girl and began kissing her. Smoothly, his hand ran through her long blonde hair, his other hand out of view. Clasping his neck, she pulled in close. The music seemed to blare into their ears. As they watched Tatome’s heart fall apart between their lips, they both knew she wouldn’t be staying. Tearing out of the concert hall, Tatome felt an intense hate fill her up. Ezekiel ran after her, while trying to find what to say to her which seemed an impossible task. She ran all the way to the beach they had been at that afternoon before she collapsed. The sand was freezing compared to earlier in the day.
Finally, Ezekiel fell down next to her. Silence held them both. Tatome picked up chunks of the cold sand into her hand, and let it run between her long slender fingers. She stayed, somewhat mesmerized, by the graceful motion of every grain. Unified they stayed, yet fell apart when they came crashing down into the world of sand beneath. It had let the heat run away from it; the moon had stolen its warmth. Moving the sand around it let a smoky smell rise, no more sun tan lotion. Wiping her hands on the borrowed black tee shirt, Tatome began picking the grains out that had hid in her nails.
“I’m his. He can’t do that. It’s because of our conversation. It’s my fault. I thought we were good though. There couldn’t have been another girl! It’s my fault. I wasn’t good enough, he needed somebody else. I wasn’t pretty enough, I wasn’t enough. I’ll never have anybody again. I –“ Tatome was cut short by Ezekiel.
“I can’t do this anymore Em. It’s every week. Every week! I care, I don’t want you getting hurt don’t get me wrong. You can’t keep apologizing though. It isn’t always your fault. In fact, it’s never your fault! You’re always trying to please everybody else! You’re beautiful, you’re kind, and you care about everybody, even when they don’t care about you. You let yourself get stepped on. You say nobody will ever love you Em? Take a look at me. I have been standing in front of you for sixteen years. I have been through every crush, every bruise, and every joy with you. I won’t leave you, I won’t ever leave you. You’ve exhausted me though, and I don’t know what else to say but I love you. I love you!” Zeek was shouting by the time he finished. Looking down at Tatome he saw the crushing tears swim down her pink cheeks. Her bottom lip grew as she mourned the loss of life as she had known it. Up in the sky the stars winked down at both of them, letting them know their incredibly small position in matters. Turning Zeek walked away, knowing that his words had left a scar on her delicate aching heart. Without a word, Tatome rose and followed his faint footsteps in the breaking sand.
Back at the venue, Ezekiel found his friend Steve to drive them home. The three of them placed themselves into the typical teenage beater car, without speaking. All of them knew, there was no need for words. Tatome’s tears and quick breaths stayed their music all across the bridge and towards Ezekiel’s house. A seemingly deafening hum of the pavement underneath the tires added to the painful silence. Together they stepped inside his house, and walked up to his bedroom.
A tired Tatome walked with caution into the room, and pulled off her skirt almost immediately. Her underwear was lined with a bold pink, surrounding black. Tugging on his tee shirt, she rustled her hair, and carefully slid into his bed. The blue sheets were pulled up over her head as she let the day sink in. Ezekiel pulled off his tee shirt and shorts, left standing in his black and yellow boxers. Next to Tatome he crawled into his bed, with little sheet left to cover his body. Reaching over for his remote he hit play, immediately a classic Beatles CD began to come through his surround sound. Softly he laid his sandy blonde hair onto the beige pillow, next to his favorite girl’s silky hair. Randomly he leaned over, and kissed her forehead. “Good night” he whispered, barely audible, and turned to the window. Together they fell asleep, awaiting the words of the next day.
That night was filled with dreams of simpler times. When concerts were times to throw down and hang out with friends. Times when her parents, may have actually loved each other, known a real attraction. The most prominent memory was one of the two best friends as children. In Zeek’s backyard, playing together in the sand box. They threw sand into each other’s lap, and built castles in imaginary kingdoms with the hot sand. It was when romance didn’t create complications, and having each other was enough.
The Beatles let their sound wake up Ezekiel the following morning. He let out a long stretch before making the decision of pancakes for breakfast. Standing downstairs in his kitchen, he stared out the window with pancakes on the grill. Their scent decorated the air, numbing the loneliness. Out the backyard lay the lake in a peaceful slumber, yet to be awakened by eager swimmers. You could already feel the warmth of the day beginning its threats. Startled by a sound behind him, Zeek turned around to see Tatome. On the tile floor her delicate body stood, in his tee shirt and her favorite underwear. Her feet felt the cool touch of the tile floor, mixing with the sweat of the morning. Stepping towards him, she was perfect, unmistakably gorgeous with all her imperfections.Looking him eye to eye, Tatome let out the deadly words “I love you too.” He stepped forward with all the confidence he had in him and ran his hand through her hair. She clasped her hands around his neck and pulled herself close. In a kiss, they witnessed each heart being put back together in the midst of life’s mess between their lips. It was the statement of change, the recognition of the truth.


There you have it. My story. Ifyou actually read through it, you amaze me. Now rant, RANT FOR ALL YOU'RE WORTH! GAH!

My next post should be The Adventures Of Afro Man. I am moving in a few days, so who knows when that will be. But seeing as how I will have no friends and too much time, I should get it done quickly. Oh, mentioning that

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lauren that story was so spectacular, i couldn't take my eyes off the page or i would lose my spot, it was sweet, i dono what your teacher was thinking when she gave you 90% and i love that name Tatome it is so cool. I can't wait for your next blog. Have a good one.

Loni

2/3/06 20:03  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man Laurence, that story was the shit. It even made my cry... gosh. So good. You are an amazing writer with wonderful diction. Love!

2/3/06 21:37  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Ifyou actually read through it, you amaze me. Now rant, RANT FOR ALL YOU'RE WORTH!"

Rant, Rant, Rantatantant!

3/3/06 19:54  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww lauren i miss you so much. that story was amazing.

3/3/06 21:20  
Blogger ...Jillie... said...

Lauuuren! that is absolutely amazing.. goooosh STUPID ONLINE TEACHERS.. they are just dumb dumb dumb. They were just soo jealous of your writing abilities they docked you down so you didn't think you were superior over them. MY GOODNESS>. faaaabulous. Love the ending. nice and discriptvely closure

5/3/06 20:11  
Blogger AfterVerner said...

They were just pulling at threads to dock you marks hey? Some teachers just refuse to deal out one hundred percent. 'Always room for improvement'. Funny. You could prolly get us to all sign a petition or something though, demanding a re-mark or something of the such.....

5/3/06 23:09  

Post a Comment

<< Home