Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Arlo and Buckeroo

So, Steve and Heather wanted me to make a post about them. I told them I would, if they each commented on my last post, which they did. Are you all ready to be educated about Heather and Steve now? If not don't read, but if so, I suggest reading. They're super cool kids...

Arlo...Heather...

Now, how did we come up with the nick name of Arlo for her? Well, we were watching Orange County one summer day, and decided we needed nick names. Therefore, we took character names from the movie. I wanted Loni, and she took Arlo. Yes, they were boy names, but that is how the name came about. We also spent the following week pretending we were australian surfers. Good times.

A little background for you on Heather now. We go back to about age 3. Although, we did not start the best friend stage until age 10/11 (she's a year older than me). She has two older brothers, 3 and 5 years older, just like me! Their names are John and Andrew. Her mother and father are Fiona and Terry. We became best friends when she moved two doors down from me. I wanted to get to know her, so being the cool kid I was, I stood on my driveway and threw my pencil case up and down. Then I "accidentaly" threw it right next to where she was standing and introduced myself. She is tall, has dark hair, brown eyes, freckles, and basicaly a model figure. Her peircings consist of the norm, one on each ear. She also has an orange and white cat named Ginger.


We have spent every school holiday together, and been through almost every crush and heartbrake together. She has always been there for me when I was bawling, laughing, or being stupid. Anytime I am doing something regretful she, being the wise one, warns me, I go ahead and do it, then afterwards won't admit that she was right...again.

Adventures of Arlo and Loni...

Our first adventure together was "Revenge of the Turkey." We refer to adventures as stupid things we do where funny/crazy/thrilling things happen and it keeps us entertained because we can't drive ourselves anywhere. I believe Revenge of the Turkey was made around Thanksgiving when I was 12. It involved walking in snow in your bare feet for around 5 minutes, running, taking off your jacket, etc. I don't remember the exact rules, it was an extremely entertaining game played outdoors late at night though.

The Golf Course. Haha, living by a golf course provides so many interesting opportunities. One night I presented the idea to run across it at around 11pm and then climb through the barbed wire back onto the FREAKY path by Shannon Lake and walk home to thoroughly scare oursleves. Good enough, so we ventured out. I was full on into it all, hopping fences dodging eyes and hiding behind trees. Heather, well, she was behind me in a white hoodie.
"Dude, the woman on her deck just looked at us!" Heather
"She was probably just enjoying the stars or something womanly...hurry up!" Lauren
"No seriously....she's gunna call the cops man...I'm in white!" H
"Haha! Okay, seriously honey, she will not call the cops on a couple teens running across a golf course" L
"No, we're going back." H
"To do what? Watch Eric mow his lawn? We can't! It's night! Seeeeriously." L
"I have to go pee" H
"Why didn't you go before we left your house!?" L
"I don't know I guess I didn't have to go then" H
"uuuhh....fine....but we'll at least walk by the lake later for some kicks right?" L
"Ooooookkk...bathroom...now" H

When you walk to the end of our road (in kelowna) it used to be all just forest and stuff ok. It ended in a big circle of pavement, without homes around it. One night, Heather and I were down on that end at about 11 at night. I was sitting on the sidewalk with my back to the woods, and she was pacing infront of me, facing the woods. I heard something behind us and was like "Dude, what was that!?" Heather froze infront of me and din't say a word. So, I hopped up and saw a figure of a man in the dark, maybe 5 feet behind us. At this point I screamed "RUN!" for all I was worth, and we began sprinting back down the road. I didn't bother to look behind me but Heather was getting a good lead. Why? I was wearing Etnies skate shoes which I had bought a bit too big and they were extremely difficult to run in. So I yelled look out and kicked off both shoes while running, that takes talent guys! They landed in some bush and we kept running, me in my socks, freaking out and cursing every second word. Eventually we turned down a side street and collapsed on somebody's lawn to catch our breath. We were super sketched out and decided it was best that we didn't go directly home because else it would lead freaky woods man to where we live. So we walked down the other road more until we saw some guys we kind of sort of knew, and followed them about 7 feet behind. The entire time we talked about how we needed to catch the bus to Rutland (we lived in Shannon Lake, where we were). So we did this massive loop around the neighborhood and sprinted back to our homes where I found my brother and told him the entire thing. That night I walked home from heathers, the whole 15 feet, carrying a letter opener thinking if somebody attacked I could do enough damage with that. The next day we decided to investigate, in day light, what had happened. So, we trotted back down our hearts racing thinking we were about to die, to where we had been sittin/pacing. We looked where I had been sitting, and there were foot steps leading right up to and then back down into the woods. We're smart kids, so what do we do? Follow them. At the edge of the forest we saw where the foot prints walked to and from this tree, where on a branch, there was a large metal object hanging. Oooo Gosh. We concluded it was the crazy farmer that lived down in there who threatened to kill me brothers and shot one of my friends. Those were the days.


It was the same sort of scene, but they were doing some developing at the end of the road. You know that big cement circle? Well A path had been pushed through the trees, and we had never been down it. We decided it being 11 at night an all, it was a good time to figure out where it went. It was so creepy we were holding hands singing "Jesus Loves Me" all the way down the path. Suddenly after about 15 minutes we burst into this open area where there was a pony and a horse (we named them brownie and star). A big hill then went up, and it lead into an area of houses I never knew existed before. We walked up, and climbed up the mountain to where we could see the entire lake, the winery, and Mt. Boucherie. It was a really cool spot. We ventured around the neighborhood and wanted to find a different quicker way home, seeing as how it was getting really late. DUN DUN DUN!!!!! Walking around for like 30 mins we decided there was no way but the freaky deaky path back through the woods. Lame hey? So the next day we went back and found a way through all the trees and paths and random things back to the elementary school behind our house.

We did the same type of thing a few months later. We walked down the same path, and got up to the road above the pony and the horse (by this time we were experienced) and began walking. After a few minutes we noticed a creeeeepy and I mean creepy black van sitting on the side of the road with two people watching us. Deciding to pay no attention, we continued walking down the road that led to the highway. Not much later, we see creepy black van is following us. At this point we begin running up hill closer to where houses could hear us scream bloody murder. The van left us, and we thought it'd be best to head back home, drink hot chocolate, and watch a movie till one of us fell asleep. Walking back, this MASSIVE MAN EATING DOG comes out from the back yard of one of the houses on our left. It was growling and drooling and barking. Heather and I were freaking, whispering, and conspiring. The dog came closer and closer and it honestly looked like it wanted to kill us. We started backing up then to the right side of the street where another MASSIVE MAN EATING DOG decided to join the party. We were now surrounded by MASSIVE MAN EATING DOGS. As we backed up, and they approached us with all drool and teeth coming out. One began walking faster and at this point I was so scared and didn't know what to do that I was like "In the name of Jesus I command you to stop chasing us and go back home you stupid frickin dogs!!" And guess what happened!? They shut up, and started walking back without a word. Heck yeah baby! So we took the scary forest path back out to just before the cement circle. We sat down on a rock and began talking about life and such. Looking up at the hill above us about ten minutes later, there was a coyote. Not cool kids, not cool. We got fully scared and sat there contemplating what to do. We could run, and it could run after us, we could walk, and it could stalk after us. After about 15 mins of deliberating I said "I'm goin in man" and hopped off the rock and began crawling through the dirt in my stealth way. Heather followed and we ran back to the closest house onto the sidewalk. That was the end of that adventure.

Although we have had MANY more, I'll spare you. But I really should tell you about our last night together, just because, well, it was our last night.

December 26 2005. Brennan, Steve (not Steve Im writing about but a different one), Leah (Steve's wife), Meagan, Liz, Sam (Kelly's girlfriend), Kelly, Sean, Heather, and me! There's the characters. We were sitting in our house watching Much Music and just sort of chilling. Eating cookies, talking, and me taking pictures. Then I mentioned since it was my last night in canada, we needed to go do something. Heather and I brought up how back in the day me and her used to play grounders together on the elem. school playground. Everybody decided that was a sweet idea, and we headed off to the playground. [ first i had to borrow a pair of converse from heather because all my shoes were packed ] So we were all playing grounders (I didn't get tagged ONCE baby!) when this man comes with a flashlight and dog saying that we're not allowed on the play ground. What kind of no life comes after teenagers on boxing day at the elementary school? Who knows. So we semi-argued-but-not-really with him, and then left. Apparently nobody is allowed on the school grounds after dusk. Riiiiiiight. Anyway we began walking down the road again, and I was like, that can't be it!! My last night in Canada guys!! So Brennan went and got a bear scare from his trunk and we walked down to shannon lake while contemplating stealing lawn ornaments. While walking to the lake some man standing on his porch in his undies scratched his belly and yelled something and we replied "Hello! have a good night sir!" and continued on our way. Walking down the path around the lake, brennan shot off his bear scare, which basically sounds like a gun shot, especially when it's echoing out over a lake. We all freaked out at him and crept along staying silent for ten minutes until we hit the golf course. Then we ran around there for a while and I found a pylon and decided to carry it. We walked back down the road and I threw the pylon into somebody's back yard because it was getting annoying. Suddenly a man came out of his house and began lecturing Kelly. I being the lil sis had to know what he was saying but Kelly motioned me to stay back, so I did. Apparently he was saying we were hoodlums or something like that. BAM! As Kelly's done talking a cop car approaches us. She unrolls the window and goes "We've had a call about something that sounded like a gun" Oh.Crap. We looked at Brennan and wanted to kill him.
"Uh, yes mam I'm sorry we thought we saw something and I accidentaly set off my bare scare." "Alright, what were you guys doing down there anyway, partying?"
"Ummm..yeah...I guess?"
"Have you had anything to drink?"
everybody bursts out laughing "No."
"So why were you partying?"
I step to the front "Well you see it's my last night in Canada."
"Oh really" (she didn't look very believing) "and where are you going?"
"I'm moving to Africa"
stunned look "and why would you do that?"
(I dont think this is helping her believe we're sober, so I decided to pull out the preachin guns) "Well you see we go to church and believe that we have been called by Jesus..." and I went on this christian rant. It shut her off pretty quickly because she looked scared and sped off to talk to undies man standing on the road. Woohoo haha. So most people peaced out then, except for Sam. So Sam, Kelly, and I all crashed onto Kelly's bed and talked about nothingness until about 4 in the morning. Then Kelly drove Sam home and I went to bed, only to wake up at 5 because I was going out for brekky with some friends at six. Crazy it was.


Okay so, I think I should cut you guys a break so I'll talk about Steve-o in my next post, how's that? Overall though, Heather is the best friend I have ever had, and continues to be. She e-mails me almost every day and we chat on the phone once in a while. She is one of the greatest people I have ever known, and has an amazing christian heart. She's compassionate, crazy, and funny. Her laugh is unforgettable, especially since that's all she ever does is laugh hehe. I love her heaps. Now comment on Arlo's fab-u-lous-ness.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lauren you little hooligan scalawag! Keeping the police from their appointed rounds at Tim Horton's! Interesting footnote, if you start talking about religion to some people it clears the area quicker than a bear scare!!

24/3/06 07:06  
Blogger white girl said...

I got to the end of that epic post and all I was worried about were your shoes! Did you go back and dig them out of the bushes later? I'm so worried about your shoes!! haha

29/3/06 22:15  

Post a Comment

<< Home