Thursday, April 17, 2008

Tonight

Tonight's one of those nights I feel like I need to write. And I feel like I need to write about...friends, maybe. Or maybe something about lacking sleep...perhaps love, or selflessness. I'm not sure. But I need to write.
And then I think about the things I listed, and I wonder if they, maybe, they're all one. I'm lacking sleep right now because I have friends who I love, friends who are teaching me about selflessness, and it's important to me to be around these people, or at least converse with them.
These aren't my only type or friends though. I have friends who consult me on their dieting techniques (why me?), friends who like to walk, friends who feel alive only why they're six feet under beer, friends who think they're somebody better, friends who think they're somebody worse, friends who think they are who they are because of who they are with.
They're all my friends, and they've all poked and prodded me until I was shaped into this person hitting the keys. Okay, I'm willing to admit that it was not all them, that I did some shaping and considering and contemplating myself. The point here is though, my life is surrounded by people, and one person who's just too far away right now.
One of my best friends moved to New Zealand with her family about a year and 5 months ago. Right now, she's not doing so well. One of her good friends in NZ was killed in a flash flood on Tuesday, she was 16. It doesn't feel right. Death holds a negative connotation, it's like the word is yucky and perhaps even rude to bring up. But it happened. And it hurt. No, I didn't know Natasha. I didn't know the other 6 who died along with her. But I know somebody who knew her, and it's odd and not quite sensible that I feel it so deeply, when that's my only connection. Do you think that's when you know that you've begun trying to shape your life around others? When you feel their hurt, a million thousand trillion miles away? I just don't know. All I know is losing a friend means losing a part of your life, restructuring and restoring something that brought itself along as such a blessing.
Live like Jesus. It's what I've been really challenged to do. Not to live like Jesus, but to really LIVE. LIKE. JESUS. It's different, you know. All my life, this whole Christian thing, I figured I was doing everything pretty well. Reading the Bible, praying, preaching. But that's not the end of this whole Christ follower deal. Feed the poor. Give everything you have. Why live in excess when some can't live day to day? Love everybody. EVERY-BODY. Take care of the earth, take care of each other.
Be a hippy? Okay...if that's the term you'd like to sugar coat these actions in. But simply, live like Jesus.
Who knows where the connections lay within all these words. All I know, is that caring about others makes life a thousand times more worth living, no matter how much hurt that involves. Being available to those people is important.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Globe...HV203!!!...this is exactly what I feel about this...exactly

21/4/08 13:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home