Wednesday, July 26, 2006

I Wonder Who Reads This Anymore?

This Summer is dedicated to reading. Why? Because I'd like to improve my writing skills. And now you ask, but you are reading, how will this help writing? I don't know it just works, okay? I've decided to improve my writing skills because I was checking out different things on the internet the other day and realized, oh gosh, you can make a whole load of money when you win writing contests. So I entered one the other day as a first step to making millions. Hopefully. It was a writing contest held in Penticton in memory of this guy who used to write...before he died. Who knows, maybe he's writing in his grave. Anyway. You could either enter a short story, or 5 poems. Since all my stories were longer than the word count limit I decided to enter 5 poems. Now I must wait until September 30th to find out the results. I'm honestly not expecting to win or anything, I could be up against people with like 50 years writing experience, or decendants of C.S. Lewis! WHOA! I just think it's good to practice, and the more I enter these things, the more I will get a feel for what these contest judges are looking for. There's numerous contests I could enter where the gran prize is stuff like 1,000 dollars and publication, but I figure I should start small. So with this contest, whoever wins, will recieve 100 dollars and a one time publication on their website (www.penwriters.com). Don't worry, for entering contests I do check out their credibility as well, so I'm not totally scammed. Anyways I just decided if I could make a little extra money for something that I love to do, why not? Brilliant. One day I'll have to face the real world and get a job though...which is looking like this fall...sometime.
Incase you are now wondering which books I'm reading this summer, I shall list them for you!








I think it's a pretty good line up. Who knows if I'll finish them all before summer ends, but it's something to do, yes? Cool. I have already read these two books:



They were definately good reads. The first one was just hilarious but also educational on the different ideas people have of how the world will end, words associated with end times in the Apocolyptionary, and numerous prophecies made throughout history. The second one is a MUST READ. It has completely changed the way I look at people, it's not a huge book, but it leaves you with a huge thought. READ IT. I did.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jaime said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

26/7/06 12:22  
Blogger Jaime said...

Hey Lauren!

I am trying to read more myself these days. I am currently reading a classic, The Jesus I never Knew. Very good!
I've been wanting to read The Screwtape Letters too, so I'll probably pick that up for my vacation next month.

I hope you win at your writing contest, good for you! :)

26/7/06 12:25  
Blogger Delbert said...

i dont even really loove to read or anything, but i have become totally engulfed in some books by donald miller, mostly tho "through a painted desert" but almost as much so, "blue like jazz". so if you wanna check out some books those ones are deffinitely gooders in my books...

no pun intended

26/7/06 18:17  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will not have time to blog anymore if you read all those books!
AND you are going to write your own book, too???
Hope you do well in the poem contest!

27/7/06 15:49  
Blogger Paul & Wanda Moores said...

Those are some great books you're looking in to. Right now I'm reading Hey Nostradamus by Douglas Coupland and it's amazing how unchurched people can say profoundly spiritual things.

I actually read God In The Alley while I was in Ukraine with you. Ironic.

28/7/06 23:24  
Blogger AfterVerner said...

Books are great ways to get out thoughts. To get thoughts out there too. I hadn't actually read any books by choice for quite some time, but then I went on a road trip and have come back having read three more, including the two delbert suggested. Kinda weird reading about some guys road trip while I was on one...

1/8/06 00:16  

Post a Comment

<< Home