Saturday, May 20, 2006

Miracle of Miracles

So yesterday morning, a miraculous phone call came through. My dad picked it up, but I couldn't hear what he was saying. Once he hung up, he walked into the living room and said
"The container's here!"
"Riiight....Anyway um Cheryl's picking us up in about half an hour, are you coming?"
"We're going to Kitwe to get our stuff off the container, we can't go!"
"Okay, honestly, not funny. You know how much I want that thing. Don't joke."
"I'm not joking."
I then jumped up and grabbed my cell to SMS Lauren and make sure the entire thing was real. She sms'd back saying it was real, and that she was the one who had gotten the phone call. After not having these things since the begining of October, hearing they were FINALLY within reach made me so stinking happy I cried. I can't remember the last time I cried I was so happy. Infact I'm not sure I have ever cried happy tears. So, as you can tell, I was beyond super incredibly uncomprehensibly overjoyed. I ran into my room and started jumping around and blasting music and just screaming. Realizing if we were driving to Kitwe, we would be staying overnight, I would have to pack a bag, so I grabbed my blue bag. Basically whatever I first saw got thrown in there along with some toothpaste and a toothbrush. Oh, and deoderant (don't fear, I remember those sorts of things...most times). Then I remember I hadn't showered in like 2 days (Africa does that to you, when you never see other people who bath and never go anywhere too important, you forget. Hey, nobody else showers, why should I?) so I ran down to my parents room (my bathroom has dirt in the water still) and got clean. Within 20 minutes we were all in the truck and ready to drive to Kitwe. Inbetween all of this sometime, I forget when, I called Heather. I wanted somebody to be happy with me, and since nobody in my house seemed as crazy overjoyed as I was, I knew she would be happy with me. Not looking at the clock, I dialed her from my cell, and after a few rings realized it was probably late. After picking up, turns out it was like after midnight, we talked for a few minutes. Tres fun.
The drive was alright, we took the shortcut. A few years ago people couldn't take it because Congolese gangs (we border the Congo) would hang out there and hijack your car and kill you. Not So Fun. I watched Oceans 11, and listened to Dashboard Confessional (why so much DC lately? Getting myself pumped for the concert on July 9th!!).
We drove straight up to VOH Kitwe because the containter had been unloaded there. I said hello to the partial Olsen clan, as well as partial Bersaglio clan, and then pranced about with Alanna (kopastreet.blogspot.com). After we packed our boxes into the flatbed truck thingy, we drove down to Kopa (where I lived for the 1st two months, where Olsens currently live). Sean, Mom, Dad, and I all were staying in the guest house there, so we unloaded our overnight stuff into there. Soon after the box process began.
Ah yes, the box process. This refers to going through every single box we had packed, and deciding what we're taking home with us Tuesday, what is first priority to go home with teams, what needs to come home before November, etc. Being the keep everything that means something and everything that you like because you like everything it was just a bit hard to sort through everything. I actually ended up throwing out or giving away 50% of the stuff I had packed. Alanna kept me company while I exclaimed over almost every item "Oh my goodness!! I forgot about that, I like it! Lots! Yay!" or "What is that....why did I pack it....do you want this?" haha good times. I haven't had an Aero bar in so long, and let me tell you, those things don't go bad! The best find though was a poster from my cousin Brenda when we were little kids. On the back she had written "Lauren, your not just sooper. You are sooperdooper. I love you lots. Brenda."
At six we went over to the Bersaglios to join with the Jonnets, Robinsons, and Olsens. We ate some Mona Lisa pizza (thankyou God, that's the last time!). It was a pretty cool hang out time, everybody saw my Bungi video, I met Alicia's brother Alec, and had to say good-bye to Alicia. When we got back that night Alanna helped me go through ALL my teddies (she can testify to the fact that the word ALL respresents MASS amounts). Before bed my mom and I sat there playing with a few of the things from the container, it was just like Christmas man, so exciting. The Kopa guest house gets friggin hot (we bought fans for it when we were there....who knows where they went...) so I pretty much died of the heat. I was in my trademark pink booty shorts and black tank top, and was ... just really really hot.
This morning the Olsens (bless them times ten) made us some kickin pancakes, tea, and scarmbled eggs. Once I had yummy in my tummy, I downsized my taking home stuff once again. It's funny how when you live without everything for so long you realize you really don't need or care about most the things you own. We said farewell so long see you in Can-a-da land to Bersaglios and Olsens, and then started our drive back to Lusaka. I finished Oceans 11, and listened to... DC, Something Corporate, and a wee bit o MXPX. Arriving back, I had to pack everything into my suitcases.
Two suitcases, 70 pound limit. My gosh. These people don't have teenage girls in mind when they create these rules. I ended up throwing out/giving away another 50% of my stuff here. So I packed everything, and weighed them. On the red suitcase, I am about one pound under. On the blue, I have about an extra 10 pounds. That should be filled with the random things I have left to throw in.


Anyways I'd say that's all the container excitement. It was definately an answer to prayer, and such unbelievable timing. It gave me a chance to say Good-bye to Alicia and Sarah, Sean a chance to see VOH, and to have summer clothes! God is good.

Tonight we went to a Chinese food restaurant. Ooo wow, what an experience it was. Seriously, it was HILARIOUS. I'm going to post about it Monday, which will be my last African post probably! So you can look forward to that, trust me, it's like a Seinfeld episode.

Here are some pictures of Victoria Falls for you guys...



Here's how wet you get when you're walking around the falls in the mist...



Is it not the most gorgeous thing ever?



There's my rockin mama (notice the height...) and the Zambezi river just before it drops off...



A sunset on the Zambezi...



Mother and I in what's basically rainforest around the bottom part of the falls...

Hope you enjoyed. Need something to read? This is my blog from about December 04-June 05. Pretty funny. www.xanga.com/hearts_once_nourished

3 Comments:

Blogger alanna said...

Lauren.
I just thought I'd let you know, that we were sorting th VOH pile into boxes, and I went in the house and saw this brass koala decoration on the wall. I almost screamed. my dad put it there just for fun. the moral of the story is: why do you (did you) have a brass koala???

21/5/06 14:25  
Blogger Michelle said...

Yay. Don't you love how God's timing is always perfect? Did they say why they decided to release the container? Do they have reasoning there? haha. I'm really happy to hear that everything is working out. And Sean just gets to see all the awesome times hey? Lucky Duck. :)
Can't wait to see you this summer. I'll be coming home to visit in August/september. I expect to have a slide show or something...haha.

21/5/06 20:47  
Blogger ...Jillie... said...

THe PICTUREs are GORGEOUS!! did i ever mention happy birthday?? or did i just dream it..?????? WELL HAPPIEST TO YOU IF I DIDNT

25/5/06 19:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home