Wednesday, May 03, 2006

And I'm Comin' Home to Banana Mush

The title really has more signifigance if you listen to the band City and Colour and have heard their song, Comin' Home. No, Banana mush is not in the song, that part means it's a banana mush post!

It's rumored that Michelle likes countdowns, so this goes out to you.

13 days until my birthday!
11 days until we leave for Victoria Falls!
A week and a day until Sean gets here!
1 day until The OC!
10 hours until American Idol!


Creepy Men...

Let me explain a little something to you first. For men here, white women are like...idols? I'm not sure how to explain it, but it's like they are all over white women. Which makes walking around in public intesnely annoying sometimes. Yesterday though I got really mad. I was waiting for a movie to start, so my mom and I were in this store looking at clothes. There's like the bottom floor and then near the back of the store there are these big stairs that go up to the second floor. But the second floor is a third of the size of the bottom so there's railings all around and you can look down onto the other floor. So anyways I decide to go upstairs (background info on my clothes: jeans and a light blue tee shirt). I looked behind me while I was walking and the sales guy was staring at my bum. Like hcore "I dont care if you see me staring at your bum" sorta thing. I quickly ran up and began looking at clothes. I must've looked down like 5 time sand the ENTIRE time this creeper was watching me. I ran downstairs to get ym mom cause I wanted to try something on. The changerooms just have curtains though so I wanted her to stand outside. Anyway I go back up and tell her about the creepy man, then go into the changeroom. As I was changing I heard him talking to my mom
"Tell your daughter to try this on."
"No, that's okay, she's fine."
"She would look very good though."
At this point I decided to forget the rest of the clothes I wanted to try on, and after I was fully clothes again I walked out and was like
"Mom, let's go. This store scares me, creepy men work here."
Yes, right in front of him. GAH! Seriously, it makes me so mad sometimes, just leave me frickin alone!
But, here's the creepiest story for you. I took film to get developed at the most reputable store here. When I went to go pick them up, they took unusually long to sort them. At home I was looking through my photos, for the picture I took of me and Frodo. It wasn't there. I checked the negatives and the little photo card they give you at the back with thumbnails of all the photos that were developed, and the picture was in those. Not in the package though. The next time I went in there with my mom the guy who did that photo package gave me this big creepy smile and winked. I haven't gone back in that store. The creeper KEPT MY PHOTO.


I'm comin home. Yup. Here's what's goin down. We still don't have the property, and it may not even get cleared next year. We came over here being told it was clear, so please don't think we came over here knowing that. Kelly's engaged, and my parents really need to be around in the months before the wedding, and I'm in the wedding so it's just sort of important we're there. I have gotten the worst education doing this whole e-school thing, so my parents want me back in a normal high school getting a good education. We're basically moving back. If a door opens for us to be here again, we'll definately take a look at it. So there's always the possibility of coming back. I'm pretty bummed, because even if I have no friends and I miss home like crazy, I really do love this place. Maybe summer 07 or 08 I'll come back for a visit. It feels so lame going home, but at the same time I do really wanna be there. So, we fly out in the next month (keeping the dates secret cause I wanna surprise some people back home). Me and my mom are going after my dad and brother, and are spending an extra day in London, so that should be cool.

I'm going to chop off my right foot. It started to hurt so bad yesterday I couldn't even wal. So today I am sticking with the limpy walk. Awesome. No doctor to check it out either.


The most depressing thing ever, was a realization I had about two days ago. All my summer clothes are on the container, and I have one pair of shorts. The other missionaries here will have to pack up our stuff for us when the container gets here, and send it back for us, whenever that may be. So um, incase you haven't noticed by now, we're going back to kelowna in the summer, and my summer clothes consist of barely anything. Along with the fact we're poor missionaries. Sweeeeeet....

6 Comments:

Blogger Jaime said...

Hey Lauren! Wow, sounds a bit crazy there with all those creepy men. I'd be pretty creeped out too, if there were men staring at my back side!
It's interesting how God will open doors and then close them again for a reason and a season huh? That's all part of the adventure though!
What's happening with your puppies? You selling them?
Anyways, blessings upon you and your parents as you begin another transition, back home again!

3/5/06 20:16  
Blogger AfterVerner said...

So you come back sometime next month then? That's pretty cool. All the poeple who miss you get to see you again. Maybe you could even drop by the island to say hey to all us here who miss ya. Tis a shame it didn't work out there. You got some good stories out of it though. Maybe things will clear up eventually and you can go back.

Betcha wouldn't win the 'I never' game now...

3/5/06 23:17  
Blogger Michelle said...

Those guys seem super creepy. Yikes. Before you leave you should go and get your photo back. haha. That's crazy that you're coming home. But maybe in the year or so that you're home you everything will work it self out. When God closes a door he opens a window right? Selfishly though, I am excited to see you when you come back. I'm planning on coming to Kelowna in July sometime to visit. With all your summer clothes packed away does that give you a ligitimate excuse to go shopping? Half way through the summer all the summer clothes go on sale so it's a good time to shop for new clothes:) What is going to happen with your puppies? Are you bringing them back with you? Are you going to have to give them away? When you get home are you going to put bars on your windows to make it feel more homelike now that you've gotten use to it? Are you going to put up electric wire around your house?

4/5/06 09:28  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhhhh you're coming home! man, way to put it right in the middle of the post like it's not even the best news i've ever heard in my life! i say it should be at the top top top!

4/5/06 16:17  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do Overs! Do Overs!
Woohoo!
Get to say farewell again?
So cool, since I missed your last
farewell tea!
No better place in the summer than Kelowna! :)

5/5/06 07:31  
Blogger ...Jillie... said...

LAF!! your coming home? Crrrazzzzzzzy business.. but i still think that when you come back.. and start to miss Africa.. we go out and take a trip there together ok? great.. sounds like a fab plan.. Maaan I've been thinking about yoru birthday for like the past 3 months.. i dont know why.. but it was jus tlike.. LAURENS bday's soooon.. woot woot.. but now that your comin ghome.. i'm trying to figure out if there's enough time to send out a package?? hmm really not sure.. but perhaps i still will? tell me yes or no.. or if you even still have a mail box.. anways.. doll your awesome. can't wait to see you and your pictures! xoxo

6/5/06 13:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home